Friday, October 24, 2014

LFF #80 - Is it a purse or frame??

Hello!!

How are you today?  I'm excited to share today's project with you.  It came about as I was working on an upcycle project.  I started to do this and ended up doing something else.  I kept this on the side to finish later and today I would like to share the completed project for today's Lilo's Fun Friday #80.  I'm really not sure what to call it, so for now you could call it a purse-frame.  You might recognize the two little girls sharing the spotlight here.  I guess I could have used any image, but I decided to go with my instincts and picked these two from Sister Stamps, Minako and Misaki.


The base was cut from chipboard, but can you guess what the stencil I used is?  If you guessed a fan you would be correct!  Yep I used a fan as the stencil for the base.  To cover the project I used this beautiful washi paper from Hanko Designs. As an embellishment a light pink daisy fabric ribbon from Daiso was glued on the edges and the handle which is how it turned in to a purse.  I used an old Kodak photo frame and covered it with a scrap of the same washi paper, then I adhered it with pop up dots to give it a lift.  I stamped "Happiness" in kanji in the center, but you can still slip a small (very small) photo inside from the top.

Here is a close up of the two little girls.  I chose to color them up with greens and pinks which makes them stand out from the softer pinks, whites and golds.  You'll also get to see how pretty the pagodas are as a nice addition to the background.  Love how it doesn't detract from the pretty washi paper; it sorta blends right in.

Minako
First up is Minako.  She's one of my favorites.  I guess because she looks so Japanese.  hehehe  I gave her a soft green colored kimono with pink flowers.  I used some older washi paper for the pagoda.  What a beautiful die from La-La Land Crafts.  Can't believe I waited so long to use it.  I guess I was waiting for the right project.  I added the cherry blossoms here, also from La-La Land Crafts.  The pearls in the center are actually dots I made with my pearl pen from Viva Decor.  If you look closely you'll see them all over the project, not just on the die cut flowers.

Misaki

Here's a close-up of the adorable, Misaki.  I colored her up in pretty medium greens and pinks.  I love how happy she looks.  Behind her is the gold pagoda with a couple of the cherry blossoms.  I love how each element goes so well together.  The only thing that is a little bit off is that one of the pagodas is a smidge off from the other one.  Next time I'll make sure to add the pagodas first so they line up evenly then add the frame.  Here's the back of the frame...


I found this quote on the internet and hand-wrote it.  I used that pretty cherry blossom stamp to add branches around the bottom of the frame.  Using the same colored ink pad I used a sponge to lightly add some distress to the edges of the frame.  A nice way to finish the back.


Well that was fun!  I love how this project which had no direction to begin with turned out.  Looks like I'm starting to find my groove again.  I've got a few more projects like this to share,  Each one was a lot of fun to make.  This particular project is heading to a new home.  I hope the one who gets it will enjoy it as much as I had making it.  Wishing you all a happy Aloha Friday and thanks so much for stopping by!!

Lilo

6 comments:

Rachel Parys said...

OH MY WORD!!! This is beyond adorable!! So glad you finished it, it's to die for!

eva said...

wow, gorgeous! love the whole project!

Denice said...

All this from a fan?! An awesome project, love the Sister Stamp images you used.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful project Leanne!! I was just thinking about purchasing the pagoda die from la la land LOL!! I am such a sucker for cherry blossoms and Japanese scenery! Such a clever idea to turn a fan into a frame!

Anonymous said...

This is just adorable! Minako and Misaki are just too cute!! They are so happy! :) I also love the quote you add to your project. So true!

Colleen said...

What you made is awesome! What a great idea. I love it!