Thursday, May 23, 2013

Y&FH CH #16 Reminder

Hey everyone!
We are slowly coming up on the last day to submit your entry over at Yumi & Fumi Handmade.  Challenge #16 is Anything But a Card and we've gotten some really terrific entries.  You still have time to join our challenge which closes at noon, pst on Friday, May 24th.  Stop by Sandie's blog to see her project.  You won't be dissappointed.  And if you missed out on any of the other DT projects stop by the Y&FH blog

Wow, it's been some time since I last posted.  I can honestly say my mojo was missing for a few days.  Could not get anything going. :(  Finally found a little bit of it the other day and channeled it in to this project.  If you've got some time to stay and read through, this plans to be a long one. (eek!)

I created another easel 2-drawer box with a "green" theme. :)  I have been having some fun making these.  Hope you like...


I used one of my go-to images, Fumi with Bear Backpack because I wanted to do a little collab with one of the newest images from the last Sister Stamps release, Shin-Shin the Panda.  (Both images can be purchased in the Yumi & Fumi Handmade store.) 


I love how cute and cuddly that little panda is and I had fun mimicking the colors on Fumi's bear backpack to match the colors I used on Shin-Shin. 


Some of you have requested a tutorial on how to make this box and I am working on one.  It's hard going if you've never done one before, but I will try my best to make it as simple as possible.  I like simple so it should not be too hard.  If you're anxious though, Kathy posted a tutorial on her blog.  Her version is slightly different from mine, but the end result is the same.  :)

I did not use any designer or patterned paper on this project!  Pretty proud of myself.  I used kraft and dark brown cardstock to create the box.  I wish I could remember where I saw the tutorial for the embossing parts.  It was actually really easy and very cool to do.  Taking the bamboo embossing folder from the Oriental weave set, I inked the top portion of the panel with Memento Bamboo Leaves ink, not the raised side, but the "negative" side.  Carefully slide the cardstock paper in, closed it and ran it through my Cuttlebug machine.  I did it twice since the panel was longer.  The end result is a negative impression with the raised parts the color of the original cardstock.  To emphasize the raised parts on the cardstock I used the same ink and went over the whole panel with it.  It created this awesome softness that emphasizes the details on the embossed parts.  I did the same for the bottom portion of the box using the  Distressed stripes embossing folder.  It totally looks like bamboo to me so I went with it.  Used the same technique as I did with the bamboo background.  (The pictures below are the steps I just described using the 2nd embossing folder)











The kanji sign for Harmony was stamped using the same ink and die cut with a circle punch from SU.  Used a sponge to add a bit of distress to the circle and pop dotted it in the center between Fumi and Shin-Shin.  The bottom sentiment says "capture the moment in your heart." and is a $1 stamp I bought at Michael's a few years ago.


 The last touch was the brads I used for the "knobs" on the drawers.  They are leaves and thought they tied everything together well.  Glad I could pull those out of the "vault" to use. (lol). 


And there you have it.  If you've read all the way through thank you and I hope it was well worth the read.  :)  I am really excited about this one especially because I was able to use a Sister Stamp and a Y&FH stamp all on the same project and learned a new technique along the way.  Yay me! hehe :) 


Make sure to link up HERE before noon, pst tomorrow and please, before you link make sure that you followed our challenge rules else your project will be removed from our Inlinks link.  Mahalo for stopping by!  Have an awesome day!

Hugs,
Leanne

9 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

WOW Leanne, you did a fantastic job on this awesome Asian project. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Rachel Parys said...

Very cool!! I love this project, but my box type things never seem to come out the right size! lol! Great work with the bamboo folder!

Danni said...

So super cute!!

Denice said...

OMG, love the inked embossing folders...it is totally cool look! What a sweet 2 drawer box, you did a great job with the challenge!
:Dxx

Unknown said...

Totally cool twist again leanne to the 2 drawer easel box! Thanks for sharing new techniques too! Can't wait to try it out myself. I love how you also have the matching weave pattern inside the box and collaborating with sister stamps! Gives it such a great flare!

Lynn said...

Thank you for explaining your techniques; I learned a lot. I admire how you coordinated everything to have a very Asian look. The paper box with drawers reminds me of the type from Japan that I used as a jewelry box when I was little. A few years ago some craft stores in Japan had kits to make them, but yours is more unique. Thanks for sharing your lovely creation!

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic, love the bamboo background, its so prefect for the images!

Emma H said...

Fabulous box, I love the embossed panels, I thought they were patterned paper at first! Thanks for joining us at Oozak!

Samantha Casey said...

This is a work of art! I love EVERYTHING about this project! i love the technique you did! Thanks for joining us for the Oozak Challenge!

-Samantha